Monday

1. Burton

I'd rather not call it a resolution. I prefer to think of it as a promise I made to myself.

Two of my friends live in Manhattan but work in New Jersey.

I used to hate New York City.

Then I thought about what my two friends are doing -- spending hours commuting back and forth every day, paying higher taxes -- and I thought about my hatred for the city they so love. That led to thoughts about where I am, and I was suddenly dumbstruck.

Who ever thought that a girl from a Third World "sleepy city" (Reuters, 01/10/10) could ever live in New York City? What quirk of fate allowed this to happen?

The point is not the supposed greatness of this place. I hope that gets across.

---

I am here.

The promise is to attend at least one "event" per week. Readings, performances, exhibitions, tastings, screenings, whatever. Being un-rich, most of these will likely be free. In other words, small names and multiple "offs" preceding "Broadway," with stellarities (not a word) scattered here and there as my wallet sees fit.

I should note that I will not apologize for being a more-or-less philistine/ignoramus in any of my documentation.

---

Here I am.

Went to see MoMA's Tim Burton exhibition with a friend. He called Burton Dr. Seuss' evil twin. I thought that was apt.


Found out that Burton is a very, very prolific artist meddling in many mediums. The commercial films -- tip of an iceberg.

Was shocked to discover that he directed a music video for The Killers. Quite a "WTF?" moment.

No comments: